Former player and secretary Ken Tucker nominates Maldwyn Davies for the MTFC Halll of Fame
One of the most colourful Chairman of Merthyr Tydfil Football Club was Maldwyn Davies.
A local born Man, he did not play himself, but his elder Brother, Stan, was a member of the famous Merthyr team, that played in front of huge crowds in the late 1940/50's.
After a short period on the Board of Directors, he became chairman, and also Manager of the Club in 1971, but the playing record of the Club deteriorated, and he signed the great John Charles as Manager, paying his wages himself.
Maldwyn owned three very successful Bingo Halls throughout South Wales, when Bingo was a very popular pastime.
He was a most generous man, and built a Social Club on the Ground, calling it "The Martyrs Club ", and provided the transport of the Club, all at his own expense.
The Football Club at this time were in serious financial trouble, and he paid the entire wages of the Club for a whole season, without any restrictions on the Club.
Without any doubt, were it not for the generosity of this man, the Club would not have survived.
Sadly, he died some years later, after severing his ties with the Football Club.